Rainwater Press
home glossary menu

a | b | c | d | e | f | g | h | i | j | k | l | m | n | o | p | q | r | s | t | u | v | w | x y z | #

d image

Cloth, paper, or rubber rollers that distribute the dampening solution to the press plate or ink roller in lithography.

dampening system:
The entire mechanism for transferring dampening solution to the plate during printing.

dandy roll:
A wire cylinder on papermaking machines that creates the woven and watermark effects in finer grades of paper.

Doing Business As. A sole proprietorship operating under a name other than that of the proprietor, such as Rainwater Press.

Desktop Color Separation. A digital color file format that includes five PostScript files, one for each color separation (CMYK) and one data file.

The text found underneath the headline of an article or story that provides slightly more detail than the headline and is set in a smaller point size than the headline but larger than the body text. Also called deck copy.

deck copy:
The text found underneath the headline of an article or story that provides slightly more detail than the headline and is set in a smaller point size than the headline but larger than the body text. Also called deck.

The width of a sheet of paper as it comes off the wire of a papermaking machine.

deckle edge:
The untrimmed feathery edges of paper formed where the pulp flows against the deckle.

Part of the front matter of a book in which the author dedicates the work to an individual or group of individuals.

deep-etch plate:
A positive-working plate used for long runs where the inked areas are slightly recessed.

Libelous or slanderous statements that cause injury to another person.

A photomechanical tool that measures optical density of images or colors, used to determine and control consistency throughout a press run.

1. The degree of darkness of a photographic image. 2. The relative weight of a particular grade of paper.

The portion of a letter that extends below the baseline.

The process of making non-image areas of a printing plate non-receptive to ink through chemical treatment of the metal, usually a gum.

The chemical agent used to render photographic images after exposure to light.

A non-silver coating for contact printing in photography. Also, a light-sensitive coating used on presensitized plates in offset platemaking.

A metal plate cut in the shape of the master image used to make cuts in printed sheets.

die cut:
The technique of using sharp steel rules to make cuts in printed sheets for boxes, folders, pop-up brochures, and other specialized printing jobs.

die stamp:
An intaglio process for creating designs engraved into copper or steel, usually used for producing letterhead, business cards, and other specialized printing jobs.

diffusion transfer:
A process in which a negative is produced and a positive of the image is transferred to a receiver sheet during processing, used in photography and platemaking.

A play on the word "literati" that describes the hip, knowledgeable people at the cutting edge of all things digital.

dimensional stability:
The ability of a paper or film to maintain its size during changes in moisture (such as when inks or other liquids are applied) and relative humidity.

An ornamental character such as a bullet, star, or flower used by printers to decorate a page.

direct mail:
A form of advertising in which the published matter is mailed directly to the potential customer.

direct screen halftone:
A halftone negative made by direct exposure from the original through a halftone screen.

dirty copy:
Copy that has been marked up by editors or proofreaders and requires further corrections.

display ad:
An advertisement that uses graphics, as opposed to a classified ad, which uses only text.

display type:
Type that is set larger than the body type, used to attract attention to headlines, deck copy, callouts, pull quotes, and the like.

distributing rollers:
Rubber-covered rollers that convey ink from the fountain onto the ink drum in printing presses.

A company that warehouses and ships books or magazines to retail outlets.

A technique used on computer screens and low-resolution output devices to produce a higher quality image in which the halftone cells are arranged in an overlapping pattern.

divider sheet:
A sheet of paper, usually made from card stock, that segments a publication into various sections.

divider tab:
The portion of a divider sheet that extends beyond the trim size of the rest of the publication.

doctor blade:
A knife-edged blade pressed against the engraved printing cylinder in gravure printing that wipes away the excess ink from the non-printing areas.

The name used on the Internet to identify the location of a particular computer.

The single, most basic element of a halftone.

dot etching:
The process of chemically reducing halftone dots in film negatives or positives to increase or decrease the amount of color to be printed.

dot gain:
A defect that occurs in the reproduction process in which dots print larger than they should, causing darker tones or colors. Compensating for press dot gain is a key element in calibrating a digital prepress system.

dot leader:
A series of dots in a horizontal line that guide the reader's eye from one word or phrase on the left to a page number or other text on the right, such as in a Table of Contents.

A type of brochure fold in which one sheet of paper is folded over twice, creating four panels.

double hit:
The process of running a print job twice through a printing press using a particular color to get an added amount of ink coverage, often used with dark inks such as black to achieve a rich appearance.

Printing on both sides of a sheet of paper.

To retrieve a file from another computer, as opposed to upload, which means to send a file to another computer.

down time:
The period of time in which a printing press or computer is not in use.

Dots Per Inch. A measure of an output device's resolution, such as a monitor or laser printer.

A technique used in inkmaking used to roughly determine color shade in which the chemist places a small amount of ink on paper and draws it down with the edge of a spatula.

Any substance added to ink to make it dry more quickly.

Printing plates that consist of metal for image areas and rubber for non-image areas for printing without water. Also called waterless plates.

drop cap:
An initial cap that "drops" below the first baseline.

drop folio:
A page number, or folio, that has been placed at the bottom of a page outside the running foot.

drop shadow:
A graphic effect in which display type is repeated behind itself, creating a "shadow."

Portions of originals that are not reproduced, such as background areas or lines around the edges of an image.

The tendency of an ink's color to dull as the ink dries and is absorbed into the paper.

dry trapping:
A method of trapping in which wet ink is printed over dry ink. See trapping.

ductor roller:
The roller in both inking and dampening mechanisms on a printing press that alternately contacts the fountain roller and the vibrating drum roller.

dull finish:
A flat coating applied to paper that is slightly smoother than a matte coating.

A preliminary layout showing the size, shape, form, and general style of a printed piece, including folds.

A display for books, often made of cardboard.

A two-color halftone reproduction from a black-and-white photograph.

Short for duplicate. To reproduce a page or an image exactly as it originally appeared.

A type of paper that has a different color, finish, or texture on each side.

duplex paper:
Paper that has a different color, finish, or texture on each side.

To reproduce a page or an image exactly as it originally appeared.

duplicating film:
A film for making negatives from negatives and positives from positives.

dust cover:
The outer paper wrap on a hardcover book. Also called a dust jacket.

dust jacket:
The outer paper wrap on a hardcover book. Also called a dust cover.

dye transfer:
A process of producing color prints by using photographic emulsions to transfer dye solutions to film or paper coated with gelatin.

home who we are books FAQs glossary guestbook order
Copyright © 2006-2007 Rainwater Press. All rights reserved.